Tuesday 4 September 2007

Mt Buller Trip #3 (1.9.07)

After the last two snow trips, I have finally learnt my lesson: SLEEP before going up to the snow!! I was determined not to get sick AGAIN after this trip (lol, not mentioning I was still not 100% healthy from my last sickness). So instead of going out and partying on Friday night I wondered over to Snow Gum to get some thermal wear for the snow. I had a gift voucher from Mum, so i thought "hey why not buy some good quality merino tops from Ice Breaker"! So I did, only to find out after I'd left the shop that the shop lady didn't process the voucher properly and over charged me....MAN....so I have to go back, but at least she was nice enough to call me up and tell me. Otherwise I would've been completely oblivious for at least days!

After Snow Gum...and bumping into Markdot and Studds there (hahaha...small world) I trained to Prahran to meet up with Ginger for the Shakuhachi sale. Ended up spending a bit of $$ and got a sexy high waisted skirt and two dresses :) Went home afterwards and just packed my bags for the snow. I panicked coz I totally forgot to buy muesli bars (my food source for the snow), but Ginger was heading out and said that she'd buy some for me. With that settled...I hopped into bed by 11:30pm. I was quite proud of myself coz that would've given me 4.5hrs of sleep before I had to get up at 4am...unfortunately, I was so excited about going up to the snow i just couldn't sleep...lay there rolling around the whole night...so in reality...probably only slept for 2-3 hours (should've known *sigh*)!

So I get a morning call at 4am from Markdot...telling me that she'd be at my place in 3o mins. I jumped out of bed, into the shower and got ready in a record time of 10 mins. I rocked down stairs and to my horror...there was no muesli bars in sight! Ginger had totally forgotten. So I made a sandwich really quickly thinking Markdot was going to be at my place at any minute. Luckily she was running late herself...so I ended up having lots of time! Markdot arrived at around 4:45am...and we were on our way to Mt. Buller. I called PowPow...so we could convoy up together as he was driving up with his bro, but at the time he was still waiting for another mate to turn up, so we went off first.

The drive was pleasant and Markdot was very safe! We had a stop over at Yea for a breakfast and toilet break before pressing on to Mt. Buller. Once we got to Mansfield, we stopped to get chains. I gave PowPow a call then...and to my surprise..they had over taken us at some point and was already only 20 mins away from the Top of Mt. Buller!!! The whole way from Mansfield to Mt. Buller I was so so so excited...to the point that I wanted to jump up and down on my seat! However, I did manage to refrain myself...so that I didn't embarrass Markdot and also myself in front of Studds. After getting changed into our snow clothing we shuttled up Mt. Buller from the day car park as per usual, when we got there, my worst fears were confirmed...there was absolutely NO SNOW in sight when we got off the shuttle! The line for lift tickets was also humongously (did i just make up another world?) massive! Took probably at least 20mins till we got lift tickets. By this time PowPow and Co. had already done 2 runs for Burke St.! After ticket buying, I went to meet up with PowPow and Co. and Markdot stayed with Studds and his mates coz they were all going for a beginners lesson at 10am.

Finally, I met up with PowPow, His bro. Hian and their friend Kaz at the lifts. I was so scared and excited at the same time when I was about to go down Burke St. FOR THE FIRST TIME WITH MY NEW SNOW BOARD!!! The fact that Hian was all like "hey dude, I heard you were pretty good...gotta check you out" got me really nervous too! No need to say...with in the first 5 secs of going down the slope I stacked coz I wasn't used to how responsive the new board was.
The fact that Hian chucked a massive hard ass snowball right at the back of my head didn't help either lol! Nonetheless, I hopped back up right away, and carved down the rest of the run with surprisingly relative ease! I know that people say...if you have your own proper gear...it really makes a difference coz rental gear is pretty run down and unsuited for chicks. However, I had no idea that it would make THIS MUCH DIFFERENCE! Maybe coz the snow conditions were better compared to last time as well (soft and fluffy, not icy) but this time round I could literally CARVE down blue runs with no trouble at all. We were totally ripping up Wombat, Standard and Little Buller Spur. I also had a 2nd attempt at the black run that I tried last time and was able to do a couple of turns!

Anyhoo, I guess coz I've gone up a couple of times now...I didn't really bother bringing my camera. The only objective was to just carve..carve...carve...carve...and keep carving. OH, and I was also able to do a couple of jumps, no biggies...just over some moguls but nonetheless I had air time and was able to land! So basically, we just boarded the whole day till our muscles were so tried that we couldn't use them properly anymore! It was so super duper and just totally SICK!!!! We had lunch at Koffler's Cafe under the bright bright sun...(did i mention that it was so sunny and so hot..the weather was just absolutely beautiful)...was just perfect! After lunch we tried family run..which was a totally disappointment. Then PowPow and I met up with Markdot and Studds for a couple of runs together on Burke St. before returning to Wombat for the rest of the day.

I need to grab photos of Kaz! I had a super duper day...best snow boarding trip out of the 3. Thanks to great company too....that' right...you guys know who you are ;P After, driving back to Melbourne (coz PowPow was too tired to drive, so I hopped into the driver's seat) we ended the night with some dinner at La Porchettas, Box Hill. Hooray...Hoorah...Hoorow!

For all the photos from this trip visit:
http://picasaweb.google.com.au/dancinghula/MtBuller310907

No comments: